Round 3 Of The 2010 AFL Season Roundup

Over the weekend, footy fans were treated to some great Aussie rules performances, with Round 3 of the 2010 AFL Season taking place – providing yet more upsets.

Only three sides come out of Round 3 undefeated at this point in the season – while at the bottom of the ladder, three sides are still searching for their first win.

Bouncing off on Friday night at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium, Round 3 ended over in Perth at the Subiaco Oval – in what may be considered the match of the round.

Below is an outline of the Round 3 matches for the 2010 AFL Season.

St Kilda 69 V Collingwood 41

Kicking off the events for Round 3 of the AFL saw the Saints at home to the Magpies at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium.

With fantastic early Season form from both sides, the clash was always going to be tight, but the home side finished with a 28-point win in Round 3  – however have lost their star forward Nick Riewoldt to a hamstring injury, which at best will see him back in the tail-end of the season.

Despite challenging the ladder toppers, Collingwood lost the game 4.17(41) to 10.9(69) – their first defeat of the Season, and went in at half time with a three point lead which they could not maintain with some wayward kicking spoiling their chances.

The Saints’ Sam Gilbert claimed the most possessions during the top of the table clash – with 32 to his name, while Luke Ball – former Saints player, hit the most disposals for the visitors at 28.

North Melbourne 116 V West Coast 91

Bouncing off Saturday’s proceedings was another battle at the Etihad, with North Melbourne at home to the West Coast Eagles, and as both sides searched for their debut win this season – it was always going to be a passionate affair.

While not necessarily the most impressive performance technically by either side, North Melbourne came away victorious over the Eagles with a 17.14(116) to 13.13 (91) win.

It was a high scoring first quarter which the Roo’s managed to maintain, while the visitors struggled, and North Melbourne had the edge in the second half.

The Eagles did not go down without a fight, coming out for the final quarter and dominated events on the oval, but could not create enough chances to make the come from behind victory.

For the Eagles, Matt Priddis was impressive – with 36 possessions, and the side were relieved to have Mark LeCras back and playing after his hamstring injury, coming away with five goals.

Skipper Brent Harvey finished as man-of-the-match for the Roos, claiming a career best 44 possessions, while the side’s young up-and-comers performed well, most notably Ryan Bastinac who controlled Daniel Kerr superbly.

Port Adelaide 81 V Brisbane Lions 108

The Brisbane Lions carried on their strong start to the season, making it three wins from three after travelling to South Australia and playing Port Adelaide at the AAMI Stadium.

It was a convincing win for the traveller’s who once again saw the powerhouse force of Jonathan Brown and Brendan Fevola unstoppable, with eight goals between the two, forming part of the 16.12(108) to 11.15 (81) victory.

However the Lions leave Adelaide with an injured Simon Black, and Mitch Clark being reported. Justin Sherman took four goals in the Lions’ impressive performance and his 100th game.

The Power struggled in the kicking department, lacking in accuracy which the Lions had in bucket loads – and certainly bore the consequences at their home ground.

Sydney 111 V Richmond 56

Sitting bottom of the ladder, Richmond travelled to Sydney on Saturday to play the Swans at the SCG, looking for their first win against the in-form Sydney side.

It was nothing other than sheer brilliance from the Swans who emerged from Round 3 with a 55-point thrashing of the Tigers, winning 16.15(111) to 7.14(56).

The first half hardly saw Richmond with a look in, not scoring their first goal until halfway through the second quarter, and the night ended badly for the Power with Relton Roberts carried from the field unconscious in the final quarter.

However the visitors can come away with one positive – Dustin Martin played outstandingly in mid-field, the youngster proving himself for the AFL.

It was a fantastic appearance from the Swans, with Jude Bolton solid with his clearances and Ben McGlynn cementing himself as a dependable goal-getter.

Carlton 75 V Essendon 95

Bouncing off the action at the MCG for Round 3 was the battle between Carlton and their visitors Essendon, in the ever-passionate fixture between the two Melbourne sides.

Having both lost in Round 2 – it was bound to be a passionate affair – and did not fail with the Bombers coming away victorious in a 13.17(95) to 10.15(75) win, despite going into the match as outsiders.

Mark Williams was a standout performer for the Bombers, kicking four goals – his first for Essendon, and Nathan Murray reached his 100th game in the remarkable victory over the Blues.

Andrew Carrazzo hit 26 disposals – the most for the Blues, in what was an unconvincing performance by the home side.

Melbourne 57 V Adelaide 41

On Sunday afternoon, the MCG saw two sides fight it out to claim their first win of the season, when Melbourne was at home to Adelaide.

Despite going into the match as favourites, the Crows emerge from Round 3 without a win to their name, as Melbourne grabbed the victory in their 7.15(57) to 5.11(41) triumph.

The Demons clung on in the final quarter to grab the 16-point margin in what was a thrilling battle at the bottom of the table.

Luck was against the Crows who saw three major injuries with Trent Henschel and Nathan Bock off the oval due to knee and hamstring injuries respectively, while 20-year-old Patrick Dangerfield was stretchered off after landing on his neck.

The three along with Kurt Tipett are all dubious for their Round 4 clash – which is a must win for the Crows who are in trouble for the Season at this early point in the year, failing to capitalise on their 19-point lead at half time.

The Demons’ youngsters impressed with Jack Trengrove and James Frawley impressive for the home side.

Western Bulldogs 100 V Hawthorn 84

The final match at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium on Sunday afternoon saw the Bulldogs at home to the Hawks.

With both sides having a win and a loss to their 2010 campaign, the match was always going to be close and the Bulldogs went in as favourites, and did not fail to deliver in their 14.16(100) to 12.12(84) victory.

Barry Hall was outstanding for the Bulldogs, with six goals in the match – four of which in the final quarter.

Both sides were hit badly with injuries – with the Hawks’ Jordan Lewis suffering an incredibly bad collision with Jarrod Harbrow and was stretchered off in the dying minutes.

Neither side capitalised on all their opportunities, and the final score line was flattering to the Bulldogs in what was a far closer game.

Fremantle 125 V Geelong 118

Rounding off proceedings for Round 3 of the AFL – the Subiaco Oval saw Fremantle at home to Geelong, with both sides undefeated.

It was a thrilling affair on the oval with the home side winning by seven points, despite going in as underdogs in their 18.17(125) to 17.16(118) win – cementing their best start to a season for 15 years.

Going into the final term 21 points down, Freo’s skipper Matthew Pavlich and up-and-comer Stephen Hill dominated to clinch the lead with six goals.

It was a fantastic clash with neither side willing to give up their lead easily, with a total of 14 lead changes throughout the game.

Gary Ablett and Pavlett were fantastic to watch, claiming impressive 33 and 26 possessions each respectively – in a great culmination of Round 3 of the 2010 AFL Season.