Results For Round 4 Of The 2010 AFL Season

Round 4 of the 2010 AFL Season is done and dusted, and once again there were some fantastic displays of Aussie rules on the ovals around the nation, both pleasing and disappointing thousands of passionate fans.

As the season rolls on, the number of undefeated teams slowly decreases with just the Brisbane Lions and Saint Kilda able to claim the title of undefeated at this point in the season.

At the other end of the table, there are still two sides looking for their first win, as Adelaide and Richmond still have not secured any points after four games.

Below is an overview of the Round 4 matches for the 200 AFL Season.

West Coast 101 V Essendon 78

Bouncing off proceedings for the Round was the clash between the West Coast Eagles and Essendon at the Subiaco Oval on Friday night.

The Eagles went into Round 4 looking for their first win of the season, and did not leave the home fans disappointed walking away with a 23-point win over the Bombers – 15.11(101) to 11.12(78).

However the home team will be disappointed with the news Daniel Kerr looks to have seriously injured his hamstring in the last few minutes of Friday night’s game.

It was a dominant performance from the Eagles, setting up a 52-point lead in the third term, and despite the Bombers execution of five of the last six goals, Essendon never looked set to claim the win.

The centre square was controlled by the West Coast duo of Nic Naitanui and Dean Cox, while Captain Darren Glass upped his game for the season, strong in defence.

Glass’ counterpart, Jobe Watson was a fighting a losing battle on behalf of the Bombers, claiming 34 possessions in a disappointing game from the visitors.

North Melbourne 60 v Sydney 100

Saturday’s events for the round began at the Etihad Stadium, where North Melbourne were at home to the Sydney Swans for their weekend battle on the oval.

The visitors emerged victorious, continuing their impressive start to the season and are now sitting comfortably in third spot on the ladder after their 14.16(100) to 8.12(60) win over the Roo’s.

However it was not a walkover for the Swans, not finding their top form until the third term when Jesse White took a match turning mark over Lachie Hansen, and went from strength-to-strength securing the final four goals of the game.

The Roo’s skipper Brent Harvey was impressive along with Daniel Wells- who claimed 19 disposals and two goals – but to no avail, as the rest of the home side could not find their form.

It was a close game from the bounce-off with the home side leading by a point into the main break, unable to execute in front of the goal, and will be disappointed losing by such a margin.

Adelaide 55 V Carlton 103

On Saturday afternoon, Adelaide’s AMI Stadium came to life as it saw the Adelaide Crows at home to Carlton in their Round 4 fixture.

The Crows went into the game looking for their first win of the season, and with seven previous clashes between the two going the South Australian’s way, seemed possible – but the Blues started strong with the first four goals to their name, and they never looked back.

The second term was the decider, and Carlton skipper Chris Judd led by example in his first match back for the season due to suspension and proved his Brownlow medallist status.

Chris Yarran, Jeff Garlett and Eddie Betts totalled seven goals between them for the Blues in their 16.7(103) to 6.19(55) win.

Bernie Vince and Andrew McLeod were impressive for the Crows with 31 and 26 possessions each respectively, however could not hit the target in front of goal, similar to their performance in Round 3, so enter Round 5 still looking for their first win.

Collingwood 123 V Hawthorn 59

The MCG saw in-from Collingwood at home to the Hawthorn Hawks on Saturday night looking to set their season back on track, prior to their Round 3 defeat to the Saints.

The Pies did just that in the 64-point mauling of the Hawks in their 17.21(123) to 8.11(59) victory, which leaves the visitors with three consecutive defeats.

The home side were impressive with their tackling, creating pressure which the Hawk’s did not know how to deal with, and Leon Davis and Dale Thomas both managed to secure three goals with Alan Didak claiming two.

The Hawks came away with many disappointments along with the loss – as skipper Sam Mitchell and Xavier Ellis both suffered injuries.

Despite the Pies going through an inaccurate phase during the third term, whenever the Hawks had possession the home side piled on pressure and came away with 76 tackles in contrast to the Hawks’ 45.

The loss adds to Hawthorn’s unimpressive start to the season, with the 2009 quarter finalists not living up to expectations.

Brisbane Lions 101 V Western Bulldogs 79

On Saturday evening, the Gabba once again came to life as it saw the successful Brisbane Lions at home to the Western Bulldogs in what was supposed to be a tight clash at the top of the table.

However a gallant Lions’ side came from behind on Saturday night to secure their 13.23(101) to 12.7(79) win, and their status of being undefeated.

Despite personal issues dominating headlines off the oval, Brendan Fevola looked unphased kicking all of his goals in the third quarter, with Jonathan Brown claiming another two.

Tom Williams was stretchered off for the Dogs with what seemed to be a neck injury, but returned in the final term – although his absence had already been felt, although Matthew Boyd and Ryan Griffen both impressed for the visitors with 27 and 26 disposals respectively.

The Bulldogs will be disappointed with the loss, having been 30 points clear and not able to hang onto the lead.

Richmond 78 V Melbourne 133

The MCG bounced off Sunday’s proceedings for Round 4, with Richmond at home to Melbourne in a clash at the bottom of the table.

The Demons absolutely dominated in the match, coming away with a 55-point win over the Tigers, securing a consecutive win after last week’s triumph.

Melbourne won 20.13(133) to 11.12(78).

It was the third quarter which changed the game, as Melbourne led by just six points in the main break, but came out with all guns blazing scoring seven goals to the Tiger’s zero.

The Demons were on fire, with Brent Moloney, Brad Green and Colin Sylvia all playing notably well, with the latter scoring five goals in his return from a broken jaw.

The Tigers’ standout was Jack Riewoldt finishing with three goals and nine marks, while David Astbury – who had his first run out for the Richmond side – scored three.

Geelong 159 V Port Adelaide 64

The Skilled Stadium saw Geelong at home to Port Adelaide on Sunday afternoon, with the Cats looking to get their season back on track after suffering their first defeat last weekend.

The home side came away absolutely dominant in a 95-point thrashing of Port Adelaide – giving them 24 consecutive home wins – an equalling record first set in 1935 by Richmond.

Once again, the turning point of the game was the third quarter where the Cats booted 11.7 to 1.0 in a thrilling term taking the win 23.21(159) to 10.4(64).

It was the first game of the Season where the Cats seemed in control, never looking to lose the lead they set up – in contrast to other winning from behind games in previous rounds.

Once again Geelong superstar Gary Ablett was phenomenal claiming 37 disposals and three goals, with Joel Corey another stand out also claiming 37 disposals.

The Power come away slightly dishevelled, although started well going into the first break just 13 points behind, and scored more in the second half than the Cats – before the third term domination from Geelong.

St Kilda 108 V Fremantle 93

Rounding out the weekend’s proceedings was the clash between the top of the table sides St Kilda and Fremantle at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

It was always going to be a close affair, with Freo going into Round 4 on strong form, however lost to the powerhouse side of the Saints by 15 points in a 16.12(108) to 14.9(93) loss.

It was level-pegging right up to the final quarter, after the Saints went into the first break one point ahead, level score at the main break, and Freo one point ahead in the third and final break.

However it was the Saints who pounced in the final term, scoring four goals, and Freo could match just two of them in their thrilling clash.

Brendon Goddard and Stephen Milne both secured five goals for St Kilda, while Matthew Pavlich booted the same for the visitors.

It was the first loss of the season for Fremantle, while the Saint’ undefeated record continues.